Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 29, 2010

On a roll!

Yesterday was of course a rest day for the Harris's. However I checked Peggy and found that she was down more than I wanted, so I gave her some Bunny to tide her over. Sue acted as though her throat was cut, but I didn't believe her. When I took them in that evening Sue was really aggressive and acted starved, grabbing and holding on to my glove and giving every indication that she was terribly underfed. I managed to escape her clutches, but she treated me to recriminations as I walked out the door.

This morning, our regular hunt day, I fully expected her to be well under weight, however she was a full ounce higher than the last time I flew her. So much for her act of the day before. Peg was just where I wanted her, but I was a bit down about Sue's weight. I had decided earlier last week that I was going to have to "turn the screws" on Sue's weight to make her try a bit harder. The last Bunny that she caught, her weight had been at 900 or a little below. Today she was 942. Oh well, one never knows what will happen until it is over, so I went over to pick up Tami, Isabel, and Thayen. Grace had made the last trip with us and it was Isabel's turn. On the trip out, I expressed my doubts about the success of this hunt.

Tami, Peg and Thayen.
Peggy for what ever reason just hasn't gotten into the swing of things yet, but she still goes through the motions, just not putting her heart into it yet.  Sue was trying pretty hard, and giving chase to almost anything that moved. She is beginning to pitch up when the rabbits hide on her. She still hasn't realized that if she goes high enough she will get another chance at them.
Sue had chased a Bunny over a lava lump and was acting as though it still might be hiding there so I went over to see if I could flush it for her. What I flushed was a Vole, and she made a mighty stoop off of the three foot high Sage she was sitting in, but missed. A little further on after an unsuccessful chase of another Bunny she finally connected with another Vole. She drug it into a bush to prevent either Peggy or myself to see much of it.
Sue with a "Timber Tiger"


We let her eat it and I decided to go on back to the car as Peg was showing signs of getting tired and discouraged, and I was pretty sure that Sue wasn't going to chase with much enthusiam.  We had not walked too many yards when Sue again took off in pursuit of a fleeing Bunny. It ran underneath of an old water truck parked in the Sage. Sue pitched up and landed on the truck.  I went up to flush. The Bunny ran to the rear, but a young Jack ran out the front. Sue burned him down in about 20 yards. I was very surprised, I didn't see or hear her fly, and the first indication that I had was the squeal of a Jackrabbit. Peg flew over to see is she could get in on it, but Sue had it by the head and it wasn't going anywhere at all. It was also pretty small and there wasn't room for another hawk to join in. I was able to guide Peg away using my Tee perch. Tami fed Peggy while we waited for Sue to enjoy her catch. I was very surprised that she would try that hard especially after eating a large Vole, and I was surprised that she would try that hard weighing as much as she did. It appears that the little girl is growing up and has decided that she likes catching things, a lot. I of course fed her all she wanted to eat. I begin to like her more each day.

This is her 3rd Rabbit.   












No comments:

Post a Comment