Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Girls day out

The weather has stayed a bit more moderate and Sue and Peg are getting a bit more acclimated to the cooler weather. They are also carrying more weight than I would normally fly them. The snow has for the most part passed around us so far, so there was no reason to not hit the Sage for a bit of exercise. Both Tami and I have missed the excursions with the Harris's. The sky is very overcast with snow threatening, but there isn't much on the ground at Arock.

Both Peg and Sue were pursuing with enthusiasm, but other than piles of rabbit fur we weren't getting satisfaction. The rabbits have changed, in more ways than one. Until recently the only hawk that was getting kicked off was Peg. Today however, Sue had at least three get away, leaving lots of fur on the ground. She whacked one right in front of Tami, and she hit it hard enough that she flipped head over heels. Peg also pulled some hair as well. All of this is with the Jacks, Bunnies do not stand a chance to get away once they are caught.

The Bunnies were running hot and heavy, and escaping with monotous regularity. The girls apparently had missed the hunting as well, and were really turning on the gas.

Sue ripped through a bush hard enough to shed a few feathers with the Jack loosing some hair as well. Finally they got on one that they each missed several times. Finally Sue made another grab and far off in the distance I could hear a strangled scream. We made our best time getting there, but soon we saw Peg jump up on a bush. I thought that perhaps they had lost him. As we got closer, I could see Sue on the ground. That meant that she had him by the head. Peg will help if the head is clear, but steps back if Sue has the head.


If you recall, I mentioned that the rabbits have changed. If you will notice by the color of my ears and the location of my hands, I am doing my best to separate the Jacks neck. I don't know if it is just the fact that these guys have finally reached their full growth, or if they are getting tougher. ( or me weaker) Any way while I like to catch rabbits, I would prefer that their deaths be as quick and painless as possible. Breaking their necks is quick and used to be easy. Knives around hawk toes are a bit chancy, besides they bleed all over the place. The only other solution is suffocation. I hate that almost as much as the rabbit does. I finally was able to get the job done, but it wasn't easy.

As you can see it is no little rabbit. Through it all Thayen slept like the proverbial baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment