Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Air time on the Owyhee!

The weather and wind finally came together to make a great day here in Rome. It was much too nice to work in the garden or the other things waiting for me to do. So I rolled out Dart and checked the batteries in my video camera and took off to get a better look at the Owyhee canyon. The picture above is where Crooked Creek flows into the Owyhee. The river is brown and a bit higher due to the recent rains and snow melt.

There were at least three groups of rafters camped at various spots on the River. The season this year is going to be quite a bit shorter than normal and especially last year. There was so much rain last year that they rafted well into July. It is about done right now this year.


The air couldn't have been better. No haze at all and even shooting through my lexan windshield they are still decent photo's.

Chalk Basin is next from Rome when going North (down river) Pretty interesting scenery to say the least.


Here at the end of Bogus Creek and basin, the river goes back into the enclosed cliffs. John Hauck and I fished the pool where the river goes into the higher cliffs. There were so many Bass that it took no time at all to fill our limit.

The cliffs get a lot bigger and more imposing from this point on. I did not get any pictures due to the shadows and the fact I was a bit busy looking at everything.

The Bighorn Sheep did not disappoint me, and were at their usual spot. I did not want to get close enough to take the picture that I would like. So I used my Telephoto and decided to accept the photo no matter if I would have liked to get closer. If they are "pressed" at all they run to the cliff edge and dive over. No matter that they are Bighorn Sheep and are comfortable on Rock faces that would have me peeing down both legs, I just cannot push them into evasive action.

The flight lasted 1 hour and 36 minutes. I burned about 5 gallons of fuel and traveled 91 miles.

http://vimeo.com/41261611    Will take you to an  short HD  clip of the flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment