Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Today Peg was 700 grams, which seems to be perhaps a bit too low. She isn't weak, but she is very intense. Perhaps a bit too intense. We went back out to the Lava lumps that seem to harbor the most Bunnies. They were irrigating and there was water every where and not nearly the number of Jacks that I had seen the last time we were there. She did get a chance at a Bunny and pulled hair, but not enough to have any rabbit inside it. She also had a Jack for a split second, but it too got away from her.

Karen was only wearing tennis shoes and the water was all over, so I asked her to go back to the truck and move it to the spot that I intended to end up. She took a stand on one of the lumps so that she could see and keep track of us. She saw a steady stream of Jacks moving past her well out in front of us. Peg wants the rabbits to get up close to her. I would prefer it as well, but it isn't going to happen until she makes it so hot on them that they begin to hide to try to avoid us.

I decided to go to another spot to see if I could get her a bit closer to them. I have a "Giant Hood" made out of coroplast that doesn't hurt their feathers and that is what I carry her in. She is pretty funny in that she knows the truck, and that she will get a piece of food on her perch when I open the door.




On our way to a new field we came across a flock of White Front Ibis working over the flooded field. We drove right by, without even one of them flying.


We drove up to a hay stack and parked in the shade. We had passed at least four rabbits on the road coming in. When we got out and walked she got several chances at Rabbits, but I think she was getting a bit tired and discouraged. I again wounded a Jack with the 22. She caught it and we gave her a front leg to bring her weight up a bit. We will try again tomorrow at a new spot that we haven't hunted yet. Perhaps I can find one with suicidal tendencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment