Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Peg's introduction to the lure.

I tied Peg out yesterday to the weathering area after we finished our lesson. It is the second time that I have tried to put her outside and she sits on the ground rather than her perch. I tried two rotating perches and she preferred to sit on the edge of her bath. I finally put one of my falcon blocks out there for her, and she finally started to use it. I brought her in the house at dusk.

Today after I had gotten every thing done, I started putting on my hawking bag and picked up the glove. She slicked down and moved to the edge of her perch in anticipation of me offering my fist and the attendant tidbit.

I weighed her first this time, and found that she weighed 766 grams, obviously judging from her actions, well within her response weight. Karen brought Indy out and we went on our walk. Peg as usual did quite well until we returned and neared her fence. She did finally bate at it as soon as we got within 30 yards of it. I wanted more room however so we went to the ranch yard to call her to the fist.

Her response was quick and she even came once before I called her. (I take every thing off and fly them free when I can't get to where I want to call them before they fly to me without prompting) After calling her several times to the fist, I brought out the lure and threw that for her. (A lure in this case is a small leather bag stuffed with "Cling Free" with a cord on it to attach food that is used to call them from a distance and when you really really need them to respond) ( a panic button if you will) She did go down to it, and I called her again and she responded quite well this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment