Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Nov 15th.

It was a bit cool last night, dropping down to 18 this morning, so I waited a bit before putting the birds out to weather. Jessie is fine, but I generally wait until either 10 AM or it warms up a bit for poor ole Peggy. The sky was clear and there was no noticeable wind. All of the snow had melted off.

At 2 PM I got restless and bored enough to go hunting. Actually an hour or so later would be better as far as the wildlife goes, but I can only stand so much.

If you remember I told you about Curly's eyes. I am probably going to try taking one of the dogs the next time as the Jacks are beginning to hide from us, and a dog would be a help.


Once we got to the field and started walking, we were seeing very few Jacks. Peg had a couple of chases but missed, then we walked for quite a while without seeing any Jacks at all. We got into a rocky area that we have actually had quite a bit of success mostly with Sylvester. I am not sure if the rocky footing makes it harder for the Jacks to dodge, but it makes sense. We were still not seeing anything, and I had stopped to allow Karen to catch up. ( Try as hard as I can, I still walk too fast) While we were there waiting, Peg takes off as though she is flying to Karen, but keeps going and slams into the ground, followed by the scream of a Jack Rabbit. It couldn't have been much more than 10 feet in front of Karen. She did what comes naturally and grabbed the Jack by the back legs to secure him.


Peg had him by the left front leg, keeping him from getting onto his feet. She was pretty wrapped up in the bush, but she wasn't letting go.

 

I dispatched the Rabbit and gave her a front leg to eat while I cleaned the Jack. I kept the liver and the head. When she finished the leg I gave her the liver and we started back to the truck. She had managed to catch one on her third flight and we had been in the field less than an hour. Now that is the way it should be. I gave her the head to chew on while we were driving home. This will be her 12th head of game. She has impressed me the last three times that she has flown, and I am not easily impressed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment