Total Pageviews

Friday, November 13, 2009

Problem solved!

The "crime spree" of Bonnie and Clyde was thankfully a short one. I went out last evening at about 7:30 PM to check on things. The things that I found was a boar Raccoon in a trap by the penned chickens. I dispatched him and was trying to get him out from the fence when I heard the free range Rooster screaming at the top of his lungs. I had only taken the 410 pistol with me and it is a single shot, so I hot footed it to the house and got the 20 gauge double shotgun, and "sprinted" back to the rescue. I didn't have to worry about the noise my breathing was making at that time as the Rooster was still screaming at the top of his lungs. I ripped the door to the outside chicken house open to surprise another Raccoon. She had apparently dug a hole through one of the logs that make up the building. The building is made of small logs and is old enough that the original strength is compromised. I shot her as she climbed the wall at the back of the building, but the second barrel did not go off. I broke the gun open to cock it again, as I had not brought extra ammo. She turned and came running back at me and the open door. Thankfully the shell fired the second time ending the situation. She had killed one of the three free range hens, (Only one of them was laying eggs. Want to bet which one she killed?) eating the organs and apparently decided that it was time to start on another one. I am glad that she did so and that the Rooster is fleet of foot, even in the dark, or I would have not had any idea that there were two of the miscreants. Raccoons are generally solitary, but the breeding season is Jan through March, apparently they were getting an early start. The male was a large one at about 35 pounds the female was average. It is surprising how tough a Raccoon is. I know that I hit her in the shoulder area at a range of less than 15 feet, yet it required another load of #6 shot to finish the job. It is also somewhat surprising that she ignored me shooting her buddy and continued her single minded chase of the "chicken" Rooster.

No comments:

Post a Comment