Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sue, and sunsets.

This was the view to the West into the setting sun, while in the East the view was just as spectacular if not more.
You can see that there is rain at the bottom. I quite frankly have never seen a cloud that looked like this ever before. The sky in between was just as blue as could be.

Now for Sue. She is quite different. All birds are different, but she excels in different. She is aggressive! Much more so than any Harris that I have ever seen. She is very smart, and three days ago I got her to walk to me one step on the back of the couch. One day ago, we took a walk down the runway and when we got back I sat her on the fence rail and got her to jump the length of the leash to the fist. I called her four times and then gave her a pigeon wing to pull on. Tonight we went for a walk again and upon approaching the fence, she tried to fly to the fence when we got within 15 feet. I find it amazing that a Harris can remember what produced food in just one lesson.  I had found some Bunny in the freezer (low calorie stuff ) to feed her, so I was able to feed her more than she had been getting. Tonight she flew 10 feet to the fist. I gave her a Bunny hind leg to finish her meal. The most food she has had so far. It appears at this time she will fly in the middle 900 gram range. She weighed 32 .5 ozs tonight. That is pleasingly heavy.

With a Harris Hawk it becomes a challenge to find food that is low enough in calories that one can be fed enough for the bird to feel satisfied, but not make her fat. When she is hunting, you can skip a day, so you can give her too much food and make up the difference by not giving her anything the next day. However when beginning training, you need to keep the lessons going so that the bird gets past the creance as quickly as you can. ( training line)

 If I can keep her aggression confined to quarry and not the handler, she is going to be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment