Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Jessie flubs, Peggy carries the day.

We saw about twenty Ducks come into the pond as we were driving in to position. The morning was cool and clear at 42 degrees. Jessie sat the fist and studied the area before she flew off the fist, circling the pond, climbing higher all the time. We were gathered just under the lip of the last hill before the pond, entranced by the anticipation of the flush and the stoop to come. I told Tami that when she turned one last time up wind of the ducks we would flush. She flew by us and would soon be turning over the far end of the pond. We stepped up into view, the ducks took off in a rush. We stood, watching the ducks fly up and clear the dam at the end, but they flew on unmolested. I said, "Where is Jessie"? About that time we hear - "Chup, Chup! A migrating Prairie Falcon had come in and was crabbing with Jessie while our dreams flew away. She then decided to tour the area, flying a large circle around us and effectively waiting until the last duck had vacated the area. There were lots of Coots left, but that wouldn't do us any good.

I finally gave up and pulled out the lure. Now if you remember the last time I used the lure she got pretty short shrift. You can be assured that Jessie remembered. She just kept on flying and landed on the hill by the road. I swung and threw, she sat and ignored. I finally gave up and we loaded up and drove around. By the time that I got to her position on the hill, she apparently decided that she had punished me enough, and came to the lure. After she finished the pigeon leg on the lure she came to the fist to claim her half of a duck breast. I keep telling Tami, " The hurriered you go the behindeder you get". Better to feed them up and wait an extra day. Perhaps some day, I will remember that it also applies to me.

We took the Harris's over to Phidel's place to try for some rabbit action. Peg was actually up about 20 grams higher than I thought she had done her best in the past. We had a couple of chases with no success, when the birds took off after a bunny, Peg flew up and landed on the side of one of the lava lumps. I was walking around the other side and bumped another Bunny that circled around behind me, right into Peg. They both jumped up in the air in surprise, however Peg was armed and dangerous. Scratch one Bunny! I tossed them a front leg and they left me with the bunny to clean.
 After they finished eating we moved on to the top of the hill, where there is a bowl that always seem to hold Jacks. We were not disappointed, and Jacks were going every where. They were chasing this one, then that one, then a Bunny would dart off and that chase would be on again. Finally we ran out of Jacks, and started a circle around the bowl. I jumped a Jack, Sue took a shot at him and missed. Peg came screaming in, and almost grabbed him in the shoulders, but skittered off and past him. She got up again and nailed him in the butt just about 15 yards further on. He was screaming and dragging her around, Sue met him on the other side of the bush that he was trying to screen Peggy through, and ended the struggle. It was like calf roping, One had the hind feet the other had the head.
 I have wanted to get a picture of both birds on one rabbit for some time. This one was no exception. I am just going to have to give up. I am much too busy in that situation to stop long enough to get a picture.
 After the Jack was dead, I gave them both a chunk of Bunny to eat, while I cleaned the Jack. He was a big one, perhaps the biggest that we have caught this year.
Its interesting that neither hawk gets discouraged if the other one catches all the game in one or even three or four trips. It has been at least four trips ago since Peg has caught anything. It hasn't lessened her desire, or flight intensity. Today she had all the juice. Damn, these guy's are fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment