Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Jasper- Jessie - Dave.

Tami came over around 2PM to fly Jasper. We have been discussing establishing some different areas to hunt Sparrows as the ones here are showing the effects of being hunted too often. They are learning, and with knowledge comes survival.

We did our best here, but most of the Sparrows had abandoned the area when Tami showed up, so we were left with a bagged Starling. Jasper was keeping vigil over us as we walked into the field in front of the hanger, and when he was in position, I yelled and tossed the Starling. He wasted no time in binding to it at about 35 feet and took it to the ground. Tami helped him with it and we retired to the shop to let him eat a bit, while I got Jessie's stuff together for her hunt.

I went over to the ranch at about 3:45 P and Tami, Reuben and I went down the creek to see if Jessie could come up with another Duck. Again she smacked two ducks, one of which was propelled into a large patch of Greasewood. She went down to try to get it, but could not get through the brush. I went to the other side of the creek to see if I could help her, but I wasn't sure which bush it went into. I had to resort to my telemetry to locate her, and by then she gotten impatient and thought that I had the duck. She made several circles around me, whiffing me with her wings, and once landing on my shoulder. I could do nothing to help her however.

She went back up, and although we tried, nothing worked out. About half way up the creek, Grace came running up yelling that Dave was hurt. Tami went to be with Dave and administer assistance. I walked back, gathered up Jessie and fed her.

When I got to the ranch house, Dave was in a chair, and in great pain. He had been working a horse, and his Dog apparently "heeled" the horse as he was going around the arena. As they came around again, either the horse remembered, or the dog did it again, and the horse bucked Dave off onto the frozen ground. This had occurred around 3:45 PM. He had lain on the ground for an hour or so before he could get to the fence. Every one was gone, but finally Sam got close enough that he could get his attention. They were able to get him on the tail gate of Sam's PU. Sam and Isabel got him into the house and in the chair. I got there around 5 PM. Tami had of course called the ambulance, but it was at least an hour out. Dave's dad, and a neighbor from Rome had also came in response to the kids call for help.

We were waiting for conformation that the Ambulance was on its way, when Tami got a call and was told that the "Life Flight" chopper was near the house, so we went out and used cars to indicate a landing zone. They were finally able to set down and the two Paramedics got him on a back board and we carried him to the chopper. They were soon airborne to  St Alfonse in Boise.

He apparently blew out the socket on his thigh breaking his pelvis in three or four places. He still hasn't had surgery, should be soon however. Prognostication is good, but he won't be riding for a year or more.

With all that has happened and the necessary loss of my main helper, I will suspend the Harris Hawk's hunting for a while, and probably will not hunt Jessie until after Christmas.

I would like to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and Happy holidays. I thank each and every one of you that follow this little blog for your interest and patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment