Total Pageviews

Monday, December 12, 2011

Mystery Predator and Jasper

Actually the predator is not that much of a mystery, but it sounded good, I thought. The Bob Cat returns! This morning after the day dawned rather weakly, I looked outside from all the windows as I tend to do, checking for signs of Cats and Coyotes. I looked in the back yard and there is a strange lump that was not there before this morning.
 I couldn't make it out, so I put a coat on and went to see. Imagine my surprise to find that it was a Bobcat kill, that had been covered up as big cats are wont to do. I knew that Cougars routinely rake leaves and branches over their kills to keep other predators from finding and robbing their kills, but I did not expect the Bob Cat to do so in my yard.
 It had eaten everything from the ears to the hind legs. It of course raked the guts out, but ate most of all the organs. I have to admit that I find this all to be somewhat amusing. At least so far that is. It has to be a young cat. I just cannot believe that an adult of some experience doing this kind of stuff. It is pretty bold, and I suspect pretty dumb to be bold enough to come and go with apparent disregard of the two dogs, and occasional people walking around.

Now I will admit that I was shocked at the amount of both Jacks and Bunnies that frequent this place after dark. I don't know for sure how far they come to feed on my yard and the hay by the corral, but some of them come from pretty far away, I think. If I try hard I can jump perhaps 5 Jacks within a 1/4 mile of the house, but there must have been close to 30 around the house the other night. That would make this place seem like a mecca for a night prowler like the Bob Cat. We have decided that if it sticks to Rabbits, we will coexist. Or rather we have decided to see how long it will stick to Rabbits.

This however, what with the covered kill in the yard would be the perfect time to build a "Machan" over the kill and wait up all night for it to come back. Too many stories of maneaters when I was a kid I guess.

Tami brought Jasper over for his evening meal around 1:30 P. Since I have been so remiss in my duties, I decided to carry the big camera for this outing.

Tami did her sneak through the corral again, and Jasper materializing over the loafing shed pinned a few Sparrows in the rocks behind the Chicken pen. I went into the pen as he was trying to get a clear shot at a hiding Sparrow. My appearance caused the Sparrow to bolt, which was a bad move. Jasper caught him on the flat rock in this picture, and they fell off in the fight. You can see his wing only.
 He got himself somewhat straightened out, and flew up to another rock, where he killed the Sparrow.
 You will notice he has the Sparrow in a strangle hold around the neck. The Sparrow by this time was already dead. It doesn't take him long with Sparrows.

 Tami finally got close enough for him to see her and he was opening his wings waiting for her to call him.
He carried his prize to her fist to eat his meal.

My efforts with both the Harris Hawks and Jessie came to nothing but exercise. Perhaps tomorrow will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment