Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 5, 2009

The other flyer

Peg has been taking up most of the time that I prefer to fly the plane. Since I really don't have to be anywhere, I don't take "Dart" up when the air is cranky, so my air time has been reduced.

Some time ago John Hauck suggested a fix for the tail wheel post and brace. It involved a brace from the tail wheel bolt to the collar on the tail boom. I should of paid more attention.
On the morning of Sept first, I was intending to go check the neighbors cows in the Pot Hole field to make sure none of them were bogged in any of the sink holes. Saves them some trouble and time and gives me an excuse to go fly.
As I was doing my preflight I noticed that the tail wheel assembly was wobbling. Sure enough the aluminum tube at the end of the steel collar was broken and the tail post was broken where it was connected to the collar on the tube.
I have 500.6 hours on the plane and most of it was on dirt, not grass, Dirt! Here it is soft and the worst side loads on the tail wheel are right in front of the hanger.
I now have it repaired, and this time I applied the side braces that John recommended.
I sleeved the tube and welded the tail post. Of course the problem is the fabric repair.
These two little braces are easy to make and install, the repair is a pain in the butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment