Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Peg and Curly

This morning I decided to give Curly a chance, and take him hunting with us. He has been pretty downcast that I have been leaving him at home. I was concerned that he would be flushing too far in front of us to do us any good. When we are bird hunting he ranges pretty far out. Betsy is of course much further out, and she is pretty excitable, so she got left at home.

Curly is a 7 year old Brittney Spaniel, very smart and an all around great dog. I put the Tritronics electric dog collar on him in case he got too far out to do the job. I can't very well whistle for him without feeding Peg, and the collar has a call button that gives a warning signal that I use to alert the dogs to come back. He is also a pretty good house dog, rough and ready, but he loves his comfort as well.

I guess I was worrying over nothing. Curly was right there, stayed close and paid attention to all that was going on. I never had to even raise my voice to him. Peg, who flies off and screams alarms when a ranchers dog show up, paid no attention to him at all.  Peg chased a Bunny under an old garage door lying on the ground, and Curly said that he was still there. I had Karen hold Peg while I stomped all over the door. Nothing! Curly was interested in one of the corners, so I lifted it up, Curly scooted under and the Bunny scooted out, with Curly and Peg hot on his tail. Curly yipping, Peg trying harder than she normally does, and of course Karen screaming at Curly to get back, It was great fun, but they both missed.

Karen finally wore out, and went back to the truck while Curly and I gave her another chance. She just wasn't that serious and seemed to me to be looking for volunteers, so we gave it up and headed back to the truck.
 
It was pretty hot this morning and we were both hot and tired.
 
Karen asked how Peg did, and then cracked up when I told her that if Peg belonged to someone else, I wouldn't even waste my time in the field with her. She only got four tidbits today and will be a lot more serious tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment