Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Another little weather window

The weather and wind abated a bit, and most of my spring projects are finished, so it was time to roll out "Dart", and burn a little gas. I wanted to see the Alvord to check the water levels. The weather forecast showed wind later in the day, but it was calm at 0800, with the temps at 52 degrees. There were rain clouds in the West, appearing as though they were either close to, or on the Steen's. I decided to go any way. My last flight was 10 days ago. I filled my "go Cup" with fresh coffee and did my preflight. Breakfast would have to wait until I returned.

I plugged my "Chilli Vest" into the power outlet, turned the heat up to max, tightened my "wild rag" and took off N W to the Steen's. The air was really nice and calm, even though I had a bit of a head wind. About halfway there the wind changed to my rear and and I picked up a bit of speed. I think I mentioned before that we have had more than 200 percent of our normal water fall this year, still getting it actually. Everything is wet and all the Playa lakes are full to overflowing.

Coyote Lake, about halfway between the house and the Alvord, is full of water.

The water on the Alvord is about 3/4 of the way across the lake bed.






In other words about 4 of the 6 mile width of the Alvord is covered in water. It started to rain as I cleared the hills around the Alvord, so I turned around and headed home.

We are hosting a fly-in of about 16 friends and pilots here the beginning of June. John Hauck of Alabama is on his way in his Mark III. He just called from Arkansas to check in. He should arrive late this next week, after visiting some of his other friends and a sister in Utah.

Here is a short video of the trip. I notice that I am getting a bit of a shake in the camera. I will have to add some more padding to the bottom of the mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGMDrhdz5E4

Here is a copy of my track as shown on the computer. I have a "Spot" Tracker that I pay for to use to keep track of me and to call for either help or assistance as needed.
 

We are just about ready for company. I have been working on the pool, paint and a bit of patching on the steps. I intend to start filling it sometime this week. Not sure how long it is going to take to get warm enough to swim in, but gotta start sometime. The garden is about half in. I am afraid to plant any of the more delicate things, as we still get a bit of interesting weather some nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment