Total Pageviews

Friday, August 5, 2011

Finally a bit of light shines through.

Yesterday it was much the same as the day before. She is down to rock bottom, but still doesn't seem to realize that I will not feed her if she does not perform. We had a mediocre 3 or 4 flights to the fist from about a foot before she decided that was too far. Well, the result was the same, end of lesson, end of food. Back to her perch in the living room.

This morning I was able to get her picked up without a bate, although it was close. She starts to fidget when I put on my vest. I whistled and stopped her from bating. Her weight was somewhere around 817 grams. We walked around the place for a bit with me giving her a tidbit every once and a while. She was quite eager for tidbits. I have a rock in the yard that she can only just stand on the top that I have been using for a flight perch. I offered her a tidbit from a foot away, and she jumped to the fist. I managed to stretch her jumps to about 10 feet before I gave her most of a Bunny front leg for her efforts. I then tied her to her perch in the weathering area as a reward. She can watch something besides the fan in the living room for a change. Hopefully she is finally understanding how to get fed, and has turned the corner for good. Her good behavior was so unexpected that Karen didn't even go with me.

I need her to get her stuff together, the rabbits are about to overrun us here. The poor dogs are continually tempted at every turn. There is a little bunny that has decided that he wants to live on the back porch. I don't mind, but he isn't much bigger than a Packrat.
His other place of refuge is a piece of plastic sewer pipe under the Motor home. In spite of his size he is rather fleet of foot.
We had a pretty severe wind storm yesterday afternoon that blew my solar heater on top of my young and tender Grape Vine, and while we were straightening out the mess, Josie kept smelling the cover over the old pool cover. This in the past has been a shelter for the Packrats. I lifted up the lid to let her check it out. I saw what I took to be a rock under a large roller that the cover had been rolled on. I reached down to grab it, when the damn thing jumped and turned into a half grown bunny. Karen seemed to find my near fall into the pool very funny. Every one knows that when rocks move, a jump is in order. She is so insensitive sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment