Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

First free flight, first wild game kill.

I wanted to add the picture of the Deer in the camp ground, but could not seem to edit the last post, so this ill have to do.

For what ever reason my blog will not work with my Vista computer. I restored it to the point that I last knew that it was working, but no joy at all. Apparently I am not the only one that is having trouble, but there is absolutely no help from the Blog personel at all. Now normally it wouldn't be that much trouble to just change computers, but had to move every thing when we put the new carpet in, and somehow all the computer discs that are for programs that I use for the blog are in never never land. The program that I use to resize the pictures is on the other computer, and Windows 7 and Vista do not talk to each other. Sigh! Oh well, I will muddle through somehow. You may find that some of the words are mispelled

I had wanted to fly Puddy free yesterday but Karen couldn't find the telemetry transmitters, so I used the creance instead. After I no longer needed the transmitters, Karen remembered where she had put them. Oh well today would be good enough.

It was pretty interesting trying to put the transmitter on Puds leg today, but Karen hung in there and we finally got it on with no blood shed. I took her out to the hay bales as usual, and called her to the perch a couple of times, then started walking with her on the perch. She rode it quite well with no attempts to fly off or to a perch. I am sure that she didn't really realize that she could go somewhere. After a bit we flushed a Night Hawk and she gave chase to it. I found it a bit surprising, since she watches the Pigeons and young chickens with no attempt to grab one of them. She flew around and landed on a fence post. I called her to the perch and continued on out the gate heading to the rimrock over the creek.

Once we got down there we started flushing Quail. There must be several hundred Quail here on the place, and they were busting all over the place. She found that the Lizards were irresistable and gave chase to any that made the mistake of skittering over the rocks. I call them racing lizards and they all evaded her, pleasing me to no end. She saw something by Ezra's corral and made a flight in there, finally flaring back up to the hay bales again. I put a tidbit on the perch and called, She flew the 200 or so feet to the lure. I was more than surprised that she would fly that far.

Finally I crossed the fence to walk in the Sage on the lower part of the property. More Quail running through the Sage. Pud took off and did a wing over on the other side of the Sage. Nothing flew or ran, so I used the end of the perch to poke in the bush hoping that if there was a Quail in there I might run it towards her. Nothing moved so I walked to where she was and found her with her feet in the bush. I waited to see what she was going to do. She finally pulled her feet out and what do you know? She had a half grown Quail in her feet. Now the season is not open until the first of Sept. but there is a provision in our laws concerning out of season game birds, that says that your bird can feed on the game, but it cannot be taken out of the field. Puddy ate the whole thing. I offered her the rest of her meal, a rabbit back bone, and counted it a remarkable first day. I cannot ever remember any of my hawks ever catching something on their first free flight.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tami's remarks:


Hey There Larry,

Here's how the last several days have gone. Sorry it has taken me a while to get them typed out.

19 August 2011
We are doing a lot of riding right now, working cows and bringing them from the summer country back down to the ranch. This takes all day and today was the first day Jasper was left unattended on the indoor perch. He seems to have done well and I feel much more at ease with leaving him now. When we got back, I put him out in the weathering area for a while before I flew him.

Although I didn't gain any distance today, his response time was quicker, which is nice to see. I didn't have to fiddle with the lure quite as much before he got on it. He also grabbed the lure body, today being the first time I have seen him do that. I have been stretching out the distance that he comes to me from the lure and was about 5 feet away when he came today.


20 August 2011
We got in late from riding today so today's lesson was short but sweet. Jasper was 95 grams this evening which is higher than he has been and I wasn't sure how he was going to respond. He flew really well, however, and we gained quite a bit of distance. He is also responding much quicker and coming really well when I offer a tidbit as I am walking away. He got on the lure a little better and from a little farther away, but I'm still having to work at it a bit. All in all, I am pretty tickled with his progress today.


21 August 2011
We got home from riding too late to fly Jasper outside tonight, so I decided to fool around with him inside. He weighed 93 grams. I flew him to me a few times around the room, set him on the back of a chair and tossed the lure down for him. He knew that he should do something, and he decided to fly to my fist which was at my side. I put him back on the chair and after looking at the lure a bit, he jumped on it. He is still mighty protective of the meat on the lure and tried to hide it from me. He comes to me well when he finishes, however.


22 August 2011
Jasper was 93 grams this evening when we got home from riding. I am pretty tickled with how well he's coming to me. More often than not, he's coming before I whistle and I am still increasing the distance, alternating between sticking my fist up as I am walking away and just walking the distance I want to go before I call him. He was Johnny-on-the-spot every time I offered my fist which pleased me very much. I put him back on the post, whooped and threw the lure. A bit too far, apparently, because he flew to my shoulder. Hmmm. I put him back and slung the lure a little closer, maybe 10 feet away. He looked at it a while and then flew down to it. I stayed back and gave him a lot more room as we talked about earlier this evening, and he seemed much more comfortable. He wasn't trying to hide from me as before, and is still coming quite nicely when he finishes what is on the lure.


23 August 2011
Jasper weighed 93.5 grams this evening. He continues to fly to me without hesitation and I went almost as far as I can without getting into grass and weeds, which, as you well know, hangs up the creance most annoyingly. I swapped directions on him after he flew to me one way, set him on a post by the pipe gate and walked back the way he'd just come. This didn't seem to faze him and he came to me without question. I set him back on his post, stepped out a ways and got the lure. He was coming to me before I could even toss it and although I did toss it out to the side, he didn't deviate his course and landed on my head. Clumsy, clumsy apprentices, anyway! He was looking at the lure the whole time and when I got him off of my head and on my glove, he went right to it. It took him a minute to find the meat as it landed underneath it and I was beginning to despair, but he finally found it. I stayed back about 15 feet and he came nicely when he finished on the lure.





No comments:

Post a Comment