Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 14, 2011

There was actually some change.

Pud this morning weighed 840 grams. A one ounce raise in weight. She still gave the appearance of being hungry. I am still keeping her in the house at night. She is still a bit spooky and not acting as though she is ready to be outside like a trained hawk. Her training at this time is very shallow. I do have to admit that she is the slowest hawk to respond to training that I have seen for many years.

She was very anxious to get on the fist to be weighed. I walked her outside to where Karen was watering the flowers. She indicated that she wanted to fly to the hay bales, so I tied her creance on and began the lesson. She of course then didn't seem to be in any hurry to get to the fist for food.

One of my requirements needed before I turn any hawk loose is when I can no longer get to a point to call them. In other words they get too impatient to wait for me to turn around, and fly before being called. Puddy however seems quite content to sit on her butt and wait for me to plead with her to come.

After some delay, she finally began to fly to the perch for the tidbits. She is finally acquiring some skill in her landings.

I got her stretched out to about 30 feet without too much trouble, and was going to call her just one more time before I gave her the lure. This time she actually came before I called, panicked and flared off over the truck, heading over the house. The creance hooked on the truck bumper and brought her down on top of the drift boat. Actually I was quite pleased that she came, but wish she would not get so excited when things don't go as she thinks they should. I went to the boat, offered her the perch with food. Instead of going to the food, she was still all screwed up and scrambled to the top of the boat. I finally got her on the perch, but she ignored the food. I carried her over to the concrete pad in front of the hanger, and tossed the lure down. It had the meaty back bone that I had cut her tidbits from. She looked but didn't register that it had meat yesterday, maybe had something on it today. I attempted to entice her by swinging it up close to her. She tried to grab it, but bolted instead and was brought down in the yard.

I walked up and tossed the lure to the grass by her, but for whatever reason, she just doesn't see the meat. Finally with it about 12 inches from her she decided to grab the lure. Not the meat, the lure. She is standing there holding the lure, not quite sure why, but holding it. I flipped a slice of rabbit about 6 inches in front of the feet, but she doesn't see it? I tried several more time, and she ignored each of them. I finally put a slice of meat on the fingers of my glove and extended them towards her. That one she saw and footed my fingers. Finally after quite a long cluster #$%*&@ she found the meat on the lure. Karen and I were both quite amazed at her actions or rather lack of reaction. Of course all this means that the value of the lesson is pretty much lost in all the confusion. Quite frustrating indeed. The only thing that keeps us sane is the ability to laugh at ridiculousness of the situation.

If I can get her to understand what the lure means, I will be able to turn her loose.

Yesterday I showed you a picture of one of the small bunnies eating grass by one of the fruit trees. Here is a shot of the afternoon trimming squad at the same tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment