Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Another step!

Even though Puddy weighed 810 grams this morning, we decided to take a chance a try to get another rabbit in her feet. It is important to keep the successes coming once you start. I turned her loose in the yard to test her response before we made the drive to the spot that we are hunting. While she was slow, she still came after "thinking" about it.

Once we got to the field and I turned her loose, she sat on a fence post while we walked away. She ignored us for a while, but at the edge of her ability to see us, I waved a glove at her and she flew to Karen on the Tee Perch. She rode with her for quite a way while I looked for Rabbits. They were a bit scarce to my liking, but she did began to hunt and once made an exploratory flight after a running Jack. I circled around them at the edge of a Sage covered point and found a Bunny that thought that he was hidden. I decided that one more Bunny wouldn't hurt her, so I popped it in the butt. Karen walked up and Pud plowed into it as soon as she saw it move.

She again went right for the head and killed it in no time at all.  Not wanting a repeat of the messy handling of the guts again, I pulled the skin off the legs of the Bunny, to give her a place to start eating.
 She calmed down a lot quicker this time and seemed to be waiting. I gave her some tidbits, and that got her started eating.
 After she had eaten for a while, I pulled off a front leg, and gave it to her. She took it and turned around allowing me to clean the Bunny. Before she finished, I had the front end of the Bunny ready for her to finish her meal.
Things are beginning to look up a bit regarding her attitude and actions. She is still very footie and any time your hands get into range, she is going to poke holes in it. If she kills Jacks, I can always heal.


Jasper
We were getting hazardous wind warnings here at the house, so I called Tami to suggest that she come over early to avoid possible problems. It was windy, but within the abilities of Jasper. She turned him loose and he immediately flew out into the field and into a hover. We continued walking towards him, and he soon tired and went to the hack tower to rest a bit. We continued our current path out into the field, and I  started calling to him, encouraging him to take to the air. He took off and flew directly in front of us and up into a hover. I chucked a Black Bird and he immediately started a dive after it. The Black bird flew with the wind for a bit, then as Jasper closed the bird took evasive action and they both hit the ground. The Black Bird bounced up and flew into the wind over our heads. Jasper used the wind to regain altitude thus air superiority, and the Black Bird broke and tried to scrape him off on my legs. It didn't work and Jasper caught him about a foot off the ground and they ended up in a small tumbleweed. It was then that I remembered that I had fixed the problem with the video camera. Oh well "pobody is nerfect" Maybe tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment