Total Pageviews

Friday, September 9, 2011

Jasper takes the next step, Pud actually gives chase.


Tami brought Jasper and three of the kids over for his flight tonight. He was at 95 grams, a bit high, but he was acting ready. She turned him loose and tried to get him interested in some of the Sparrows in my Chicken pen. Too soon I guess for that, he was wanting to go to the field where we have been flying him. We worked our way over there, and he soon ran the pigeons off the hanger and took his post. We walked on out into the field, and he soon came to Tami's fist. It didn't take long before he launched himself into the wind and went into a hover. As soon as he did, I tossed a Black Bird out under him. He wasted no time turning over and binding to it. This time I took my little camera with me. It doesn't take as good a picture, but it may be better than my descriptions.
Tami helped him kill it, secured him and sat back to let him have his favorite part. The brains.
We went back to the yard to let him finish his meal. Thayen amused himself by rumaging through my bag.

After he finished his meal, we put him in the shop and I weighed Puddy. She was at 802 grams. Better, but not that much better.

We tried calling her back and forth, but she was quite slow, so I told Tami to go on home, since she was irrigating this evening.

I ignored Pud who was sitting on the chimney. Before Tami left, Pud flew down to the dead tree in the yard. I thought she was looking at a dried up Black bird wing that Josie had left in the yard. Pud flew down to the grass and was pulling on something. I went to see what it was. It seems that Josie had left a dead Vole lying in the yard, and Pud was chowing down on it. Oh well! Josie had caught it earlier when I was working on a wind screen by the Motor home. I called her to the fist when she finished, and started just walking around. I stood on the edge of the walk at the pool waiting to see if any Jacks were going to come up. Pud flew to the Chimney again. I again ignored her. She eventually flew to the rock jack on the far side of the Motor Home. I continued to ignore her. She then flew to the chimney, then to the fence close to where I was standing, then she started hopping a bit closer. I continued to ignore her. She finally in four hops got to within three feet of me. I offered her my fist, and she wasted no time getting on it, and eating the small tidbit there.

A little progress after all. I walked around the front of the house hoping that one of the Bunnies that use the yard was there. No luck! She flew to the fence, I walked around to see if I could flush one her direction. She flew to the yard and was eating something. Another mouse, apparently left there by the Chickens who had carried it over from where I emptied my automatic mouse trap at the hanger. Again I called her to the fist after she finished. We walked around the house heading towards the pool again. I turned the corner and there not 8 feet away was a half grown Bunny.
Well Karen was in town and I am getting desperate, so I stopped. Pud watched, turning her head this way and that. The Bunnie kept on eating, moving a bit closer. Pud watched. Now I really enjoy those little guys, but sometimes sacrifices have to be made. Pud wasn't willing. He eventually hopped off behind the hot tub. We walked on. I decided to check behind the corrals and the mews to see if there were any Jacks there. Pud flew to the hay bales, and eventually flew on out to where I was and took a perch on one of the bird houses. I tried to call her, but she declined the offer. I returned to the house and pool where I could see several Jacks further out in the field. Pud came to me, and I noticed that the Bunny was at the edge of the rose bushes. I walked that way and wonder of all wonders, she took off after the Bunny. He looks so dumb, but generations of genetics told him the right way to go and Pud hung up on some supports for the roses and the Bunny was gone. It didn't matter to me, she actually chased a rabbit, and the cute little darling was still alive, so no alibi was needed.

I let her scrounge around in there looking for him, and when she came out the other end, called her to the fist. We walked around the house, and she took a perch on the Motor home. Soon she flew down to the yard again. You guessed it, she found another mouse that the chickens had left in the yard. Enough was enough, I picked her up afterwards and put her to bed. I doubt that she is going to be in much shape for flying tomorrow, but it was still a good evening. I guess I am going to have to do a doggy poop and mouse patrol before I fly her.

No comments:

Post a Comment