Total Pageviews

Friday, November 25, 2011

Jasper never fails to please!

Tami brought Jasper over around 4 PM to see if we could catch anything. His weight was up to 98, but his attitude was just right. He was in the mood for murder, as usual. When we started his weight had to be 92 grams. It has slowly risen to as high as today's weight of 98. It cannot be because of the colder weather, because he lives inside. It is because of his mindset. He wants to hunt!

The Sparrows were not in the outside chicken house. They have learned to delay their bedtime until it is almost dark. However they cannot resist the constant food supply in the captive Chickens pen. He started that way and flushed a Starling in front of him. He chased it down towards the creek, and back. As he neared the pen, he went into a hover over the pens. Tami and I both ran into the area to try to flush something to chase. He took off after a Sparrow in front of the loafing shed, and put it into cover in the rock fence there. Tami climbed over the fence and went to see if she could flush it for him. The Sparrow kept to cover and she found nothing. Jasper went to the top of the fence, so I tried to flush Sparrows out of the back of the loafing shed. I was apparently successful, and one flashed by him and around the corner with him in hot pursuit.

I started around the end to get inside of the pen to flush. Before I could get far, I could hear a Sparrow screaming. As I got in the pen, I could see him against the wire of the pen. The Sparrows think that they may be able to escape him by running into the rocks. He has become an expert spelunker and can run through the nooks and crannies as fast, scratch that, apparently faster than they can. I scrambled for my camera, but Tami was coming up on the outside and he turned and squirmed through the wire to the outside. The Sparrow was still complaining, so he paused long enough to break its neck. Tami stuck her fist out, and he flew to her with the Sparrow to eat. This time I was prepared and I captured it on video.
http://vimeo.com/32690780

No comments:

Post a Comment