Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Jessie gets it together

With the first day of normal time, (time change) I wanted to take no chances so we set off at 12 PM with Pud and Jessie. I put Jessie in a Giant hood for her own protection. I didn't want Pud to decide that she looked edible when I let her out of the hood or tried to put her back in, so Giant Hoods for everyone.

Pud has been calling every time she sees anyone for a week or so. I have been thinking about it, and while most "screaming" is initiated when the bird is seriously deprived of food. Pud has been screaming at more than 5 ounces over the weight, that I had to take her to get her to even fly to me. So the only thing that stands out is that she didn't scream until she started killing stuff regularly. Oh well, she will eventually quit, even if it takes a moult to do so.

We took Pud to the field at Arock and started out through the Sage. I have been noticing less and less rabbits in the areas that I normally hunt, and have come to the conclusion that I have driven them to the fields that we haven't been hunting. Pud flew at almost all the rabbits that jumped, but just wasn't committing the way that she needs to. She did tear a handfull of fur out of ones side, but just couldn't hold on. We put in at least two hours of tramping through the Sage, before I called it quits. I will take her out tomorrow to see if she can do better.

There were ducks in one of the ponds that I fly on the way back out of Arock.
So Karen and I got into position with Jessie. I finally gave her a bit of a boost, as she seemed quite content to see how long I could hold her over my head. Since she isn't in that good of shape we walked up on the pond on her second pass over the pond. The ducks got nervous and ignoring Jessie started off the pond. Jessie picked one out and slashed it into the ground below the Dam.
She "threw up" in the air and chased him down on the ground. When I arrived she was almost buried in the tall grass. I secured the duck, then Jessie with her leash, then I started clearing the weeds so that she could finish the Duck.
I just sat back and let her do her thing.
The storm that had been threatening, finally arrived and started with snow pellets. Karen decided that she would wait in the car. I sat there while Jessie ate as much of the fat that the Gadwall was packing, and a little bit of the meat off the breast. Finally the pellets changed to flakes, and it was time for us to go.

As the storm intensified we pulled into the yard. I put Pud and Jessie up for the night, and went in to change shoes. My feet were frozen. After I warmed up I went out to see if Yogi remembered where tidbits came from.

She recalled quite well, and took the first one eagerly. I gave her another one, then started calling her to the fist. She eagerly jumped as far as her leash would allow as soon as the fist was offered. I then called her to a Bunny hind leg to finish her lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment