Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Yogi, and Jasper

When I put the girls out this morning, Yogi was the only one that was in flying condition. I called Tami to see what her schedule was going to be like, as it was Jasper's day to hunt. They were going to be weaning calves today, so she was going to try to hunt after they were done. I decided to go hunting with Yogi early. By the time I got back they should be ready to vaccinate the calves, so I would go over to help, as Rosie was on the coast for Thanksgiving, and they were one person short. I am not that much help, but every little bit helps sometimes.

It was 16 degrees this morning but by 10 AM, it was up to the low 20's and Yogi and I took off for the field. I had wanted to take Yogi out by herself to perhaps shoot a Jack for her, so that she would understand that they were possible for her, and good to eat. Puddy had caught two in her presence, but she had not actually gotten her feet on one yet. With Puddy around that wasn't likely either.

When we got into the field she chased some Jacks for a while, then we got into an area with lots of Bunnies, and she chased those with vigor, but quit chasing the Jacks. I finally got a chance at a Jack, and hit him high in the abdomen. She had been off chasing a Bunny, so I had to go get her on the fist. I approached the wounded Jack. She saw him, but of course he wasn't acting right, so she was hesitant. Then the Jack took off, and she decided that he was worth chasing, and she soon caught him. He was still fresh enough that he gave her a good fight. She was very excited.
 With her big feet and talons, it took her no time at all to kill the rabbit.
 After it was dead, I gave her a front leg, and cleaned the rabbit while she ate. After she finished the leg I had given her, I gave her the heart and liver as well as a back leg. She was quite full by the time she finished. I put her in her box and we drove home. Upon our arrival I was glad to see that she has quit getting car sick. I put her up and went over to the ranch to do what I could with the calves.
 My contribution is to put a fence post in behind the calves as they run them into the chute to wait their turn in the squeeze chute for their vaccinations.

After Tami put her horse up, and got the kids squared away, she came over with Jasper for his evening flight. We turned him loose and were soon chasing Sparrows back and forth from the Chicken pen to the loafing shed. We had run all the Sparrows out of the Chicken pens, and Tami went into the loafing shed to run the ones out of there that had taken refuge there. She busted one, and Jasper was in hot pursuit. They both hit the wire of the Chicken pen. Karen was trying to find where Jasper was, when we heard the scream of a Sparrow. Tami jumped over the fence and found him in the nasty weeds with the Sparrow.


 She was telling us that he was jumpy, and acting as though he was going to fly with the Sparrow. She asked me what to do, and I of course told her that it was her bird, her judgement. I gave her my camera to take a few pictures for me.
 He worked his way out of the weeds to this rock, and was sitting looking at her. She was standing about 10 feet from him, worrying that she was going to crowd him into "carrying." ( The term meaning that the Raptor flies off with its prey to eat it where you can't get to it, one of the worst habits in a hunting hawk.)
He kept looking at her, so she offered her fist with a chunk of breast on it, and the little sucker did in fact carry. The only thing is, that he carried it to her fist to eat it. I of course busted out laughing, her worst fears were confirmed, and all her worries came to nothing.

She has adopted my habit of letting a bird eat all it wants when it catches something. This little guy has never had anything taken from it. If he catches it, he eats it. He is very fond of brains, she holds the beak so that he can get to the parts that he likes. In his mind, there is no better, safer place to eat other than her fist.

I have flown some of the best falcons and hawks that this world has to offer. I would be proud to be able to to claim him as my own. He is as good or better than most of the fancier members of his species. Most falconers, whether they be newby's or very experienced, overlook the Kestrel as a "Mouse Hawk", and a beginners bird. Most new apprentices choose the bigger, thus more desirable Red Tail Hawk, as a more fitting hawk to start their falconry career. That in itself is fine, if they have the situation that will favor the hunting style that these birds require. Most apprentices do not have that situation.  We do not have the area here that would allow the Red Tail to have an even chance to catch something. The Kestrel however can be hunted in this high Desert, or in the center of the city. It is as much of a challenge to catch a Sparrow with a Kestrel as it is to catch a Duck with a Peregrine. A Starling rates right up there as a prize that is as much a match for the Kestrel as a Sage Grouse for a hybrid. The only thing that an apprentice has to prove is that they are capable of training a hawk to hunt, and keep it alive and in good condition, not how big the quarry. They all count as one!

No comments:

Post a Comment