Total Pageviews

Monday, July 4, 2011

Road Trip to Leslie Gulch

We have been to Leslie Gulch several times, and I have written about it as well. However each time is different, scenery is different, and most importantly Jan Marker had never been there before.

After our visit to the rock Quarry we continued our trip towards Leslie Gulch. This entailed a drive through Jordan Valley and past the Skinner Rock House, which serves very delicious ice cream cones. Thus fortified, we were able to continue our trip in much better, thou fatter in my case,  condition .

The road turns off just a bit West of the Idaho State line. It is still dirt, though in good condition. Karen and I have been giving Mike, (primarily a city boy) lessons in wildlife spotting. He has apparently learned quite well, as he pointed out a large bird sitting on some rocks across a creek from the road. We stopped and I thought they were Vultures, until I got the bino's out. Upon checking them, it turned out to be two Golden Eagles. I had thought one might be a youngster, but I changed my mind when I saw the nest with a genuine youngster in it.
needless to say, I was a bit surprised. We had driven by that spot several times before, and I had never noticed it.
You will notice all the swallow nests under and to the right of the Eagle's nest. What better protection could you ask for.

Its occasions like this that make me wish for a good telephoto lens. Sigh!

On down into the canyon and the formations that make the place so magical. I had hoped to run into some of the wildlife that frequents the area. We were not to be disappointed, first up was a Chukar that Karen spotted up on the hillside
This is a file photo, since I was so busy driving and they are so jumpy, I never got a chance to be other than a guide.

I was very pleased to be able to show one of them to Jan. I was telling them that on other trips we had been able to see some Bighorn Sheep, just around the corner from where we were. We turned the corner and what do you know?

There they were as if they had been waiting. There was a young ram with these ladies, and of course he was full of testosterone and quite willing to show off.
He jumped up on the rock to pose for us.

I was very pleased to say the least. The rest of the trip was of course full of some remarkable scenery.



All in all a great road trip. The temps were in the low 70's, traffic was at a minimum since the Owyhee reservoir is so high, there aren't many people fishing, and the rafters are pulling out in Birch Creek to avoid paddling 15 miles of slack water.

Jan had of course heard of the scenery in the Gulch before, but I dare say, she wasn't disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment