Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bunny double

The last few trips have been at the Ranch next door, and while there are Rabbits there, they are not as plentiful as a bumbling young hawk needs to be successful. There have been some memorable attempts with Jack Rabbits jumping 3 to 4 feet in the air to evade the girls, but little in the way of success.
Roger Hankins, a friend, and Tonya, Tami's sister, joined us for the hunts. We got a lot of exercise, but little that I wanted to write about.
 Photo by Grace.
Sometimes there just isn't enough room for two on the perch.

Our last trip two days ago at Arock did not produce anything for the girls to eat, so they went to bed hungry and then had to wait another day before they got a chance to catch something.

Peg lost down to 820 grams, while Sue lost down to 940. A loss of 3 ounces for Sue. I work on the theory that if they want to eat, they will catch something. Of course when they are young I cut them some slack, but these girls are not beginners, so it comes down to their choice. If there is anything that gripes me, it is a hawk that doesn't give its all.  It doesn't have to be successful every time, and all birds are not as effective. (comparisons between a Gos and a Harris comes to mind.)  I just need them to do the best they can. Working on this method gives you a hawk that is going to give its all, every time.

It has been unusually hot, and that of course cuts down on their ability to catch these Wiley rabbits. They are not easy, and while the girls are perfecting their technique, it is still far from polished or as good as they will be. After chasing 15 or so dodging and sneaking Jacks, it is pretty normal for a bird to get tired. Perhaps I should stop and allow them to rest more.

Check out this little stinkers laugh. He just loves these trips, and never complains and rarely if ever cries. Isabel also joined us today, and doubles as our flushing "dog" and as an excellent rabbit spotter.

Our first blood came with Sue chasing one into a hole that was so dark and hidden that I would not have found her without Peg standing guard over it. It was covered in Sage and very hard to see into. I lightened the photo in an effort to be able to see her in the hole but not very successfully.
I tried to call her out, but she kept "massaging" something in the hole. I tried to drag her out, but couldn't get hold of anything that I felt comfortable tugging on. I finally gave up and stuck my hand in the hole and finally felt a front bunny foot. It was at the end of my reach and I really had to scrunch to even get that. I pulled her out with the Bunny.

You can see the hole up over her right shoulder. Peg very nicely sat on her rock and didn't cause any trouble. I pulled off a front leg and Sue took it and left me with the bunny. I pulled off the other one and tossed it to Peg to eat while I cleaned the bunny.
I managed to bury the guts, but part of the skin was showing, so of course Peg spotted it, and I had to deal with that.

We hiked over some more of the sage and after a bit the girl's appetite emerged again and gave chase to what I thought was a Jack. Both birds are working off each other, but are still not willing to crash into the brush to make a grab. Peg made a shot at the fleeing bunny but missed. Sue took over and when the rabbit ran into one of the creases between the rocks, she was on a collision course and not slowing at all. I was sure that she had caught it, but I couldn't hear any screaming. I ran as best as I could and found her with the rabbit as I thought, but it was a Bunny rather than a jack.
This is the first time that we have caught two Bunnies in one outing. It is rare to catch even one, and Sue had made a double. These were adult Bunnies too.





Again I pulled off a front leg that Sue took, leaving me with the Bunny. I tossed Peg the other and allowed them to eat while I cleaned the Bunny. A lot more carefully this time. We had a few more chases while we walked to the truck, but their almost full crops slowed them enough that they were not that much of a threat. We fed them up at the truck.

I picked up Jessie three days ago and turned her loose yesterday to fly to the lure. She beat the air in to  submission and flew as much as she could manage. It wasn't pretty, but she did manage to get her flabby butt off the ground enough to make several circles of the hanger with rest stops in between laps. She didn't feel like going up to the balloon, (50 feet) but did land on the ground near us and came to the lure. Her manners were the best they have ever been. I am looking forward to getting her full strength back and showing her some ducks. Not sure we will make opening duck season, but close.

No comments:

Post a Comment