Total Pageviews

Monday, September 20, 2010

Larry the "Bunny Gooser"

That's the nickname that John Hauck and Karen stuck on me last year when we were hunting Peg by her self. The blasted little twisting, dodging, waskally wabbits are really hard to catch because there are so many Badger holes that they can escape down into and out of our clutches. I stuck my hand down in enough holes "goosing" bunnies to give the hawks another chance, to earn my alias. My theory is that if there was a snake down there, the rabbit wouldn't stay. So far I have been right.

Sue was over 1000 grams or 35 1/4 ounces today and I was wondering if I had finally found her upper limit. I think that I have, and will take her down before we go out again.

She is mentally ready to hunt, but physically not able to twist and turn fast enough to catch rabbits. I unfortunately had some difficulty with one of my camera cards and replaced it with a 16 MB instead the Gig card that I intended, so I don't have many pictures to go with today's or the last hunting trip.

Sue was putting on some really good twists and turns on a Vole, but unfortunately? he got away, forcing us to hunt rabbits instead.

We tried a field that I had hunted last year, but found the rabbits to be a little more scarce than I was willing to accept, so we loaded back up and went to Arock again. Peg deserted us and sat on a water truck while we hunted the rest of the field. Sue chased a Bunny that ran down into a Lava rock overhang that didn't have an escape hole. The last time that we hunted we had a similar situation and I used my PVC perch to poke down into an escape hole and by yelling into the end of the pipe ran the Bunny out of the hole and Sue caught it. Tami had just asked me if poking in the holes worked. I told her not every time. Sue was standing vigil at this last escape hole that the rabbit had taken refuge in. I stuck my perch in the hole and blew into the end. Out came the bunny and Sue grabbed him. It pays to have breath so bad that Bunnies would rather face a mortal enemy rather than stay in an unvented hole with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment