Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Sue strikes again!

Karen had another Dr's appointment today to check on her knee. The Dr was pleased with the progress she is making, and put her on weights. Our next appointment is two months from now. She had arthroscopic surgery to repair an injury that occurred when she fell early this spring.

After driving two hundred miles and dealing with the Boise traffic, I decided to hunt at the ranch simply because I was too tired to drive to the rabbit field. I drove over and picked up Tami and all the kids. They all were going to get to go this time, and we started working the Sage close to the hay fields. The birds actually have a better chance here even though there are a lot fewer rabbits, and no Bunnies at all. This is mostly due to the smaller Sage.

Peggy was at a lower weight this morning than I really wanted her, and for sure she was lower still at 5PM when we finally got into the field. Sue was high, but her attitude was right on, which is all that counts. We covered quite a bit of ground with nothing at all showing up for the birds to chase. I kicked out a Western Whip tail Lizard, or what I call a "racing Lizard". Both birds were off in hot pursuit. There were foot races, wing overs and every thing in between. Every body was laughing and I was yelling for the Lizard to run for its life, which it was doing with fine style. He left both birds in the dust wondering what happened. If they were to put that much effort after Jacks, I would have a freezer full by now.

Finally we jumped a few Jacks, mostly at long distances. Sue pursued with vigor, while Peg kind of went through the motions. We jumped a young 3/4 grown Jack, and Sue was making shots at it and getting up off the ground and closing again, making more shots. Peg joined in and Sue was so close that I am sure that she could taste it. Sue was getting closer with every Rabbit that jumped.  Finally we jumped another 3/4 grown close in front of me. Sue made a shot, missed, got up and took another shot at him which left her sitting on the ground. Peg came in and turned the Jack, Sue got up and slammed into him. The music of a captured Jack floated back to announce success- finally!
 
She ended up deep in this Sage Bush holding onto the Jacks Butt and middle. It wasn't going any where. I broke its neck and let Sue settle down.



This is the first large Jack that she has caught. I had been a bit concerned as to how she would hold a large Jack. Its something that they have to learn, but I don't think that she is going to have that much trouble. She has killed every thing that she gets her feet on. A lot of the Hawks are not that efficient at killing stuff, but this little girl is equipped with some serious weapons that she is not at all hesitant to use. 

I let her start pulling on the Jack and reached in pulling off a front leg, and picked her up. This is the first time that I have done so, and she handled it just fine. Peg was a bit upset that she wasn't getting a free meal. I decided to leave her without, in the hopes that she would decide to get with the program. Sue finished her leg, and we crossed into another field. We soon jumped another Jack and Sue was off making two shots that were really close behind the Jack finally slamming into a bush just behind the Jack. When I got there she was grumbling about missing. Normally she is quiet, but she grumped that time.

We decided to work our way back to the car, and soon jumped another Jack that both birds chased. I decided to take advantage of the situation and clean the Jack. I got behind a Sage to clean it and kept the liver to feed Peg with. Like a dummy, I didn't cover the gut pile when I finished. I called her, but Sue came with her and circled around behind us, of course seeing the gut pile. She promptly decided that Salad was on the menu. I gave in and we fed both birds and called it quits for the night.

This makes Sues count at 9 so far this year. She is showing signs of being the kind of bird that I like. All she needs is a bit more experience, and she is gaining that every day. We have worked around her aggression, and she is showing less and less every day. It only shows around the perch, and that rarely now. She is a heavy weight, catching her Jack today at 33 1/2 ounces. She is silent for the most part because I have never had to cut her down in weight to accomplish what I wanted her to do. She chases Rabbits with fervor, and is getting better each day, but game birds and lizards bring out the best in her. She is going to be a hell of an all around hawk.

No comments:

Post a Comment