Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Peg redeems herself

Yesterday Peg was not acting right, not unhealthy, just not participating with the enthusiasm that I require. When I picked her up, I just took her weight down and hunted her, thinking that she remembered all the stuff that she did last year. I have noticed that while she will come to the T Perch, she ignores the fist. When I got back after yesterday's hunt, I put her on the fist and she showed no interest in coming to the fist for a tidbit. I tried her several times with the same result, so I put her up.

This morning I decided that I would take her out here at the house and give her a refresher course. Roger Hankins was over for a visit, and he wanted to see her hunt. The Jacks here are at a pretty low ebb, so I go other places to hunt so that I don't deplete my breeding stock. I decided that since she hasn't been doing that well there was no harm in flying her here.

We walked toward the creek, and I called her a couple of times. She reluctantly came, but for sure not what I wanted. As we neared the creek, a Jack started a hundred yards or more in front of us, and she gave chase, making several shots, hitting the ground and up again. Finally she lost him and sat on a bush by the creek. I decided to go down the creek and called her to me. She sat and watched for a bit, then decided to fly over near me, landing about 5 feet away. I got her on the fist with a tidbit or two, and told Roger to start down the creek. As he did, a Jack ran out of the cover there and started back up the road running up hill. When he broke cover, Peg launched off the fist and powered up his butt grabbing him by the head and butt. I was amazed, that was the best she has done for a long time. I helped her kill the rabbit, tied her to my bag and sat beside her until she didn't want any more to eat.

I of course am still having trouble with my camera, perhaps by tomorrow when I hunt Sue, I can take some more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment