Total Pageviews

Friday, September 17, 2010

Visitors to the Rock House

We are hosting a bit of a fly- in for our friends, mostly Kolb Flyers, but all pilots. All have read of the adventures of Peg and Sue, and this is the time to see it first hand. Boyd Young got to go the last trip and now Ken Korenek from Arlington Texas was to get his chance to see what it was like first hand.


We got into the field and Peg who was sitting on top of the telephone pole finally saw something to chase. It happened to be a Pheasant, and she gave it her best, but missed. Sue took up the chase and put it in some large Sage at the end of the field. She unfortunately did not catch it, so we started on rabbits. We got several chases on Bunnies, but the girls have not mastered Bunnies as yet.



It is not for lack of trying however. Most Bunny chases end up this way. If the Bunny is in a real hurry, they sometimes don't pick the best hiding places and I can poke them out. At least often enough to keep Sue interested.

I try to cover areas that I haven't hunted for a while, as the Rabbits tend to change  hiding places. As I said in the earlier posts the Jacks are starting to hide rather than flush and run, so some of them are close slips. That is the very thing that really turns these girls on. One jumped at Tami's feet and Peg was off in a flash and had him in less than 15 yards. He was squealing and trying to get loose, but Sue joined in and he wasn't going anywhere. Unfortunately my camera malfunctioned and I again got no shots of it. Things were beginning to get a bit hectic, so I gave up and joined in the fray. I killed the Jack and tossed it to Peg, then gave Sue a front leg as a consolation prize.


This is the first time that Peg has really turned on. Tami and I were really stoked, and exchanged high fives over her success. I decided to leave her with the rabbit to eat as a reward for her efforts. I tied her to a bush, and Tami and Reuben stayed with her.  Boyd and Ken went on with me to see if we could score one for Sue. She was still a little burpy from the front leg that I had fed her, so she watched a few run with no response. Finally there was one hiding at the base of a lava lump, and I rushed it, screaming at the top of my lungs with her on the perch. She had to either fly or hang on for dear life. She chose to ride the Jack instead. She flashed off after another one that I hadn't seen and disappeared over the lump out of sight. I listened and no scream was forthcoming, for a while, then faintly I could hear the music that signaled success. I hurried up and Sue was in one of the thickest Sage bushes that I have seen. I had to walk around the other side to even see the Rabbit. It was trying to pull her through the bush, so I went around. I reached for the Rabbits head, it turned and Sue had it by the face. Once that happens it is all over for the Rabbit. I killed it for her, and let her have it.

This one was a full sized last years Jack. Sue handled him with no trouble. I let her have the Rabbit for a while, even skinning a hind leg, and cutting it as well. She really didn't show much interest in taking advantage of that, so I offered her a front leg that I pulled off. She stepped up on the fist with no problem. We headed back, joining Tami and Peg to walk back to the car.


It was a good hunt and the girls lived up to our guests expectations. Tomorrow we will go again with an even larger "peanut gallery".

When we got back to the car, Tami gave me the Rabbit that Peg had been eating on. Peg had put a considerable amount away. I told her that I would gut her rabbit. She informed me that it was already done. I said that I would cut its head off. She informed me that she had already done that as well. It is such a pleasure to work with a "ranch girl", rather than a squeamish decoration. Falconry is not a sport for the faint of heart. It requires some dirty work on occasion, and Tami has been as dependable as one could ask for. Lovely and sensible too, It doesn't get much better than that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment