Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Fishing day!

I decided that it had been too long since I had gone fishing. Peg had been stopping me from going because I needed to handle her. In thinking about it, every time that I was wanting to fly her in the evening it was blowing like crazy, and that was crimping my style somewhat. Then reason took over, and I realized that I would be flying Jessie in the evening when I took her up from the molt, so I decided to switch Peg to mornings. That way I won't have to hurry either bird and the mornings are really the best for Rabbits any way. It didn't hurt that I had been seriously over feeding her. So we skipped a evening session and will do mornings. She is still too fat. Young Harris's are somewhat prone to vocal calling when they are taken young. That is why she was 12 weeks old before she was taken out of the mews. It can still be caused if they are taken too low in weight, so I had been reticent to not feed her for too long a time, so she is fat. What will be, will be I guess.

Anyway I decided it was past time to go fishing, and I was getting curious as to what smoked Catfish would taste like.

The Willows and weeds had grown quite a bit since I was there last, and the trip to the river from the quad was a bit of a struggle, carrying two fishing poles, tackle box, cleaning board and a chair. I got there and set up by 10:30 and first were the Bass. Karen likes them the best, but they are so plentiful that there is not much size to them. So I released quite a lot and moved around, crossing the river to get to a spot that I knew the bigger ones preferred. I finally got a limit of the bigger ones and kept one small one for bait for what I really wanted to catch.

I rigged the other pole for Catfish, put on a cross section of Bass, and caught my first Catfish at 12 noon exactly. When I first went down there to fish, I used to fish until time to leave, and then begin to filet the ones that I caught. I have changed that process and I now clean them as I catch them. It is sometimes a bit of a circus, but a lot easier all the way around. Some times they were biting so fast that I had four Cats on the bank waiting for me to clean them. Other times I would have to take the line out of the water so that I could catch up. I had to quit at 24 because I couldn't get any more filets in the zip lock gallon bag that I brought.

My Sis likes this spot so I took three little videos looking up the river, across and down the river. The only sound you will hear is the rivers song. For you Wanda.

No comments:

Post a Comment