Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 18, 2009

New Camera!

I have been watching a friend of mine post videos on Facebook using a small spy camera that he sticks on RC airplanes. I decided to bite the bullet and buy one of them, and it was delivered yesterday. ( http://www.hobbypartz.com/hicocagrforf.html ) So I modified one of my old baseball caps to hold it.

As you can see its not much of a camera. I used a scrap of aluminum from another, by this time, forgotten project and riveted the holder to the bill of the cap.

The camera has a mini card in it that holds about two hours of video or acts as a recorder. It shoots in 648x480AVI, which is as good as my digital camera, and I will be able to use both hands. The only real problem is that there is no shade on the lens, so sunlight really hits it hard. Need a VG or two. Maybe a cigar as well?


The lens opening is just above the clip, and it is designed to be worn in a shirt pocket.

The morning was really quite nice, small breeze out of the WNW, temps were 72 degrees at takeoff.

I made my first run in the Crooked Creek drainage. The walls are about 50 feet high and it varys from 100 feet to 200 feet. It has enough twists and turns to make it interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IotKGVi21Z8




After I came out of the drainage I traveled over to the Owyhee Canyon and took a run through there. It is nice to have both hands free. I do notice however that while my brain seamlessly smooths over the quick darting movements of my head, the camera of course does not. It would be nice to have the camera outside of the Lexan windscreen, it would make it sharper, but the problem before was that any camera had to be cushioned in foam to keep it the vibration from the motor from screwing it up. Will have to do further research.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Z1ENQM1LE

No comments:

Post a Comment