Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Peg, at weight at last.





e


e
I decided that I was going to have to resort to "washed meat", to get any continuity with her training. That is the process where in you soak meat in cold water, squeeze out all the blood and nutrients that you can, at least a couple of times. She is a lot like me, designed to survive on little or nothing. Handy when food is scarce, but a pain if you don't want to be a fat butt. Any way, I soaked some Rabbit last night for today's training session.

Her perch is high enough that she can see out of the windows. Normally she sits pretty quiet, but last night she was restless and kept trying to fly. There is a young Jack, full grown, but stupid or bold, that has been eating on the grass in the yard. I think she could see him, and wanted to invite him to dinner.

She has not been fed for at least a day and a half, and she was showing some signs of feeling it. After I finished my chores, I picked her up and we went for a walk. Karen and all the dogs made up the rest of the group. While we were walking back, Karen picked up a rock that was marring the runway and tossed it behind us and off into the grass. Peg bated immediately after it. We were both surprised at her actions. When I weighed her, I found that she had lost down to 748 grams. That is about an oz and a half from the fat weight that I got her at.

I took her to an old fence at the end of the yard and sat her on it, then made her walk just a step to the fist for a piece of meat. When she did that without hesitating, I moved so that she would have to jump to the fist. She was doing well, and I had not posted any pictures, so I stopped and had Karen get the camera. By the time I got back to the fence, she was impatient to resume the feeding and jumped to the fence, turned around and waited for the fist. They are such quick learners that most of us are behind the curve when dealing with them.

I was smart enough to only pick up enough food when I started that I wouldn't over feed her, because if I had not done so, I would have continued to give her all that she would eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment