Total Pageviews

Friday, July 24, 2009

She has a name- Peg.

I picked the Harris up this evening and took her for a walk down the runway. She does well and only tried to fly once during the one mile walk. I had a good chance to study her during the walk. I had noticed when I first picked her up, that she had a "funny" left foot. Now it is apparent that sometime in her youth she had a bit of damage to her left leg, probably in the joint as I can see no indication of a break in her leg or ankle.

It could be in her ankle, but I don't believe that it will cause her any problems. We will see. I have noticed that she however pulls that foot up when she rests. Any way, now her name is PEG. I considered Gimp, but she doesn't seem to favor it, so I was left with Peg.

After our walk, I took her in the hanger to weigh her, and found that she had lost 20 grams, 3/4 of an ounce. We went back in the house and I sat with her in my chair and watched enough news to raise my blood pressure a bit, and give her a little more exposure to the dogs on her level. Karen cut off half of a quail breast for a bit of food for her. I had tried to feed her last night, and she refused, so I wasn't sure that she would want anything tonight. Normally, with most hawks that have been just taken out of the mews, a reduction of almost 10 percent of body weight is required before they will respond. Harris Hawks are generally much more amenable than any other species of Hawk or Falcon. She is apparently no exception to her species as she recognized the meat as something that she would like. I fed her three or so pieces of quail and then put her back on her perch, where I fed her a couple tidbits. I then offered her the rest and she stepped up on the fist to eat the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment